We travelled on a local bus called a 'dolmus'. It was clearly market day as the bus was very busy. Just as we thought there wasn't enough room for anymore people, small foldable stools appeared. Then one of the passengers would pass a small basket round to collect the fares. When we got off the bus, we felt relaxed and at home. It was the first place we had arrived at in Turkey where we hadn't been either stared at or surrounded by groups of people trying to get us to take a bus to Antalya.
We ended up staying here for over a month. During that time, after some delicate questioning, I met some of the women. One day I was invited into a small cave, to sit with the local women who would prepare all their food together and share it amongst themselves. They made everything, their own cheese, yoghurt, jam, bread etc. I had just left england, where most of my '30 something' female friends, were in debt, stressed out, looking for 'mr right', and pretty lonely. These women seemed to have broad smiles, shiny hair, lots of friends and Camaraderie - no loneliness here.
Anyway I was especially fascinated by the way they squatted and these amazing trousers that they all wore. So here are some studies I did, with a few materials that I found locally.



